Google+ The Duda Homestead: Thankful Thursdays 4&5

Thursday, December 12, 2013

Thankful Thursdays 4&5

I know, I'm behind. I have a lot of great ideas and stories to tell, but need to get out from under this post-remodel mess. I am hoping to get more of my recipes, art, and DIY projects up for you. I'm also planning to do a photography series. SO what was I thankful for last week? Honestly, it is hard to remember last week. I do know we went out to eat, so let's talk about coupons.

I'm thankful for all of those great coupon websites. You know, like Groupon, Living Social, Amazon Local, and our local Plan!t Kane and Fox Valley Deals. We are starting to get on a strict budget, and doing really well (future post). We have student loans that we are determined to pay off as soon as possible, so we are limiting what we spend. A friend (<-amazing Portland photographer!) posted an article from You Need A Budget that said "Until you’re completely debt free, everything you purchase is financed at the rate of your highest-interest debt." And I don't know why nothing else really has, but holy crap did that resonate with me. So with that thought, our credit card bill has already dropped by half. (We charge just about everything to it to earn cash back and pay it off monthly).

One of the ways we accomplished this (other than not needing to buy so much for the house) is by limiting our eating out to once per month. We want to spend as little as possible, but also want to have fun. We've been sticking to a grocery budget fairly well, but looking at our categorized spending on food in general was an eye opener. Eating out once a week adds up fast, and we don't order the prime rib. Although we rarely ever eat out without a coupon, it has turned into a game for me to only go out if we can get half off, or at least one entrée free. We tried an awesome new place in town, O'Sole Mio with a $30 voucher that we purchased from Amazon Local for $15. If you're a local, we highly recommend it!



Now for this week...it's been a little hard with the hubby working late (coaching) a lot of evenings. We miss him and it just isn't the same when he isn't here. I have a love/hate relationship with technology, but this week I am very thankful for it because it allows me to keep in touch with him throughout the day. While of course he is busy teaching and coaching, he has a moment now and then to say hello and chat during his lunch and it makes getting through the long days much more tolerable. Not to mention it allows me to keep in touch with friends and family while I'm cooped up with the little ones all day :) The trick is balance.

________________________

Disclosure: I was not compensated by O'Sole Mio or any of the above companies mentioned and/or linked to. I will, however, receive a bonus if you click through and sign up/purchase with Groupon & Fox Valley Deals. These are all companies I use personally and wouldn't recommend them to you if I didn't have a positive experience with them :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions, comments, or just want to say "hi"? Please do! I'd love to hear from you! Just one rule: Be nice & keep an open mind <3

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...